The Education Trust-Midwest (ETM), a nonprofit education advocacy and research organization located in metro Detroit, seeks a full-time Senior Data and Policy Analyst to support the work of its growing team.
Launched in the fall of 2010, The Education Trust-Midwest is the Midwest office of The Education Trust, which is headquartered in Washington, D.C. The organization promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our Michigan-focused policy agenda. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those who are black, Latino, American Indian, or from low-income families—to lives on the margin of the American mainstream. For additional information on The Education Trust-Midwest, please visit www.edtrustmidwest.org.
The Senior Data and Policy Analyst will draw lessons from the best available data, research, and practical experiences to inform and advance the organization’s policy agenda.
The Senior Data and Policy Analyst will be based in our office in Royal Oak, Michigan. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage team analyses;
- Collect, analyze, and interpret educational data related to student achievement, attainment, and opportunities to learn;
- Work collaboratively with external partners and fellow staff members in Michigan, as well as the Washington, D.C., New York and California offices, to monitor federal, state, and local PK-16 policy and quickly respond to legislative and regulatory proposals, inquiries from allies, and other rapid-response opportunities;
- Develop instruments and protocols to evaluate programs and policies in schools;
- Prepare data and policy analyses for internal and external use;
- Read, evaluate, and summarize academic and policy research relating to The Education Trust-Midwest’s policy and advocacy agenda;
- Proactively generate new ideas for how ETM can expand its use of data for research and advocacy;
- Serve as a lead writer of public reports, fact sheets, press statements, and website materials, in collaboration with others;
- Support data analytics and reporting for the Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), ETM’s practice team;
- Respond to requests for data and information from educators, media, parents, community members, and other education stakeholders;
- Support staff in finding data, creating presentations, identifying successful schools, and creating publications for public distribution;
- In collaboration with the executive director and the ETM management team, develop and refine the organization’s on-going policy & advocacy agenda; and
- Develop research-based methodologies using multiple data sets to answer complex data questions.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for a combination of the following qualifications and experience:
- A demonstrated passion for educational equity for low-income students and students of color;
- A Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in related field strongly preferred;
- A background in education, either as an educator or through a focused education concentration in work or school;
- A mix of strong analytical, research and communications skills, with an emphasis on the ability to communicate the results of research to diverse audiences;
- Excellent writing ability, experience writing for external audiences a plus;
- Familiarity with major sources of education data;
- Knowledge of state and federal education policies;
- Proficiency in using Excel or similar statistical software (e.g. STATA, SAS, SPSS, etc.) to collect, organize, clean, and analyze quantitative data;
- Proficiency in using PowerPoint to design thoughtful, engaging presentations;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to collect and evaluate qualitative and quantitative education data to support policy advocacy;
- Ability to prioritize competing demands in a changing, highly collaborative environment;
- Strong follow-through skills and attention to detail, especially under tight deadline pressure; and
- Willingness to travel inside Michigan.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Education Trust-Midwest offers a comprehensive benefits package – including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, a 403(b) plan with employer match, and generous vacation time. Paid holidays include the week between Christmas and New Years and all federal holidays, with the exception of either Columbus or Veteran’s Day.
Apply online at: https://bit.ly/2zdB0h5. Applicants will e asked to submit a cover letter, resume and brief writing sample. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. In the file name, please write “senior data and policy analyst”.
The Education Trust-Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.