The Education Trust-Midwest (ETM), a nonprofit education advocacy and research organization located in metro Detroit, seeks a full-time School Coach for its Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning office in Kent County, Michigan. This position will work with local educators, and individual schools and school districts to help inform, focus and coordinate ETM’s advocacy agenda of advancing educational equity and closing opportunity and achievement gaps for low-income students and students of color in Michigan.
The School Coach will report to the Director of The Education Trust-Midwest’s Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
The School Coach will work out of the Center for Excellence in Teaching’s office in Kent County, MI, but will travel to ETM’s office in Royal Oak on a monthly
basis, and will have frequent travel in and around Kent County.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in overall research, data collection, and product production of the Practice Team. Key areas of work include student access to rigorous content (e.g. Michigan State Standards, English Development Standards, college and career preparatory curriculum), effective teaching and equitable funding;
- Research best practices to close the achievement gap among Michigan’s low-income students and students of color;
- Deliver Instructional Coaching and professional development in K-12 setting for implementation of best practices;
- Deliver Instructional Coaching and professional Development in K-12 settings for Teacher Leadership standards;
- Foster Teacher Leader collaboration and reflection;
- Participate in school/district visits to document best practices and leadership;
- Stay up-to-date on research regarding effective practices and policies around high standards, rigorous curricula, effective teaching and school leading, including writing synopses and reports; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Highly analytical, ability to see trends and synthesize complex information;
- Familiarity/experience with issues of equity, teacher effectiveness, instructional practice, leadership, and curriculum/content standards as they relate to raising achievement;
- Possession of a results-oriented, achievement-driven approach to tasks;
- Strong attention to detail and excellent organizational skills;
- Dedication to advancing student achievement and the teaching profession;
- An ability to work independently and take initiative;
- An ability to coach and collaborate with educators with diverse experience;
- An ability to collaborate well with others, both inside and outside the organization;
- An ability to communicate and present to a diverse audience;
- Experience with and ability to balance multiple demands and deadlines with composure;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential;
- 3-5 years teaching experience preferred; valid Michigan Teacher Certificate ;
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred; and
- A willingness to travel as required.
- Passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color, and an unwavering belief that these students could be much more successful if institutions better served them;
- Ability to work collaboratively
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence;
- Healthy respect for colleagues;
- Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented;
- Flexibility with a strong sense of honor and integrity;
- A warm, personal style with a good sense of humor; and
- The ability to motivate and inspire.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Education Trust-Midwest offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 403(b) plan with employer match, paid holidays and generous vacation time.
The Education Trust-Midwest, located in Royal Oak, Michigan, is a nonpartisan, data-driven education policy, research and advocacy organization focused on doing what is right for Michigan students. Working for the high academic achievement for all students, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement for all students, particularly those who are Black, Latino or from low-income families.
The Education Trust-Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.