About the Position
The Education Trust–Midwest (ETM), a nonprofit education advocacy and research organization located in southeastern Michigan, seeks an Operations Manager to provide a backbone of support for the organization. The Operations Manager is an organizational mastermind who proactively leads finance, contributes to grant writing/management and plays a leading role in convenings and event management.
The ideal candidate works well in a deadline-driven, mission-focused, collaborative work culture and has a passion for improving the educational experiences and outcomes for low-income students and students of color.
About the Organization
The Education Trust-Midwest promotes high academic achievement for all students at all levels—pre-kindergarten through college. We work alongside parents, educators, policymakers, and community and business leaders in transforming schools and colleges into institutions that serve all students well. Lessons learned in these efforts, together with unflinching data analyses, shape our Michigan-focused policy agenda. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that consign far too many young people—especially those who are Black, Latino, Native American, or from low-income families, who are English learners, or students with disabilities—to lives on the margin of the American mainstream.
Responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor revenue in order to ensure adherence to organizational budget and grant stipulations, as well as to inform on-going internal spending decisions
- Coordinate expense reporting and compliance to ensure fiscal health of the organization
- Support the development of the annual organizational budget and proposed budgets for grant applications, as well as budget modifications as necessary
- Serve as the liaison between Ed Trust-Midwest and external vendors and contractors, including by coordinating the execution of contracts and the processing of invoices and other incurred costs
- Serve as one of the liaisons between Ed Trust-Midwest and the national finance team
Development and Grants Management:
- Contribute to the writing of grant reports and proposals and support the development of other communications with funders
- Create and track progress against project plans for upcoming grant reports and development deliverables in Asana
- Execute research regarding potential philanthropic partners
- Support the organization’s fundraising efforts in other ways as needed
Events, Convenings and Other Operations Responsibilities
- Manage project plans and support the successful execution of in-person and virtual events and convenings
- Provide event and/or executive scheduling support as needed, including coordinating travel arrangements and other reservations
- Contribute to communication initiatives as needed, including website updates and subscription management
- Support initiatives and procedures to support personnel productivity and engagement, including office culture and team building initiatives, hiring and onboarding and ensuring employees have the space, supplies and equipment they need to execute their roles
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of 4 years of work experience in an operations, development or project management role
- Passion for The Education Trust’s mission: to close opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income families
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, relevant work experience
- Track record of effective budget management and internal financial coordination
- Strong follow-through skills and attention to detail, especially under tight deadline pressure; and
- Refined prioritization and time management skills – able to switch gears, handle interruptions, and refocus back on planned work while meeting all deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and partner-service skills (courteous, communicative, and helpful) are critical
- Excellent writing ability, with grant writing and/or communications experience a plus;
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office: Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook); Experience with Asana a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this role starts at $65,000. The Education Trust-Midwest offers a comprehensive benefits package – including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, a 403(b) plan with employer match, and generous vacation time. Paid holidays include the week between Christmas and New Years and most federal holidays.
Location: Southeastern Michigan preferred. Ed Trust-Midwest organization is 100% virtual for now, until office space is secured. At that point, employees would be expected to report a minimum of two days a week in person.
Applications can be submitted here and should include the following:
- Cover letter
The Education Trust-Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.
The Education Trust Vaccination Policy
At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees are required to be fully vaccinated and remain up to date on their vaccinations for COVID-19. New hires should be fully vaccinated and up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources.