***Priority Deadline: Sunday, January 8th, 2023 at 11:59pm***
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION AND THE OPPORTUNITY The Education Trust (Ed Trust)’s Midwest office seeks a Manager of Communications to join a staff committed to fulfilling our mission of closing opportunity gaps that disproportionately affect students of color and students from low-income backgrounds. This role manages day-to-day implementation of strategic communications efforts, spearheading media relations and digital communications.
The Manager plays a pivotal role in amplifying and promoting the organization’s policy positions and advocacy messages to advance educational equity. The Education Trust-Midwest works for the high academic achievement of all Michigan students in pre-kindergarten through college. Our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement that disproportionately impact students of color, English Learners, students with disabilities and children from low-income backgrounds. As a nonpartisan, data-driven education policy, research and advocacy organization, we are focused first and foremost on doing what is right for Michigan children, working alongside partners to raise the quality of teaching and learning in our public schools. Ed Trust is committed to advancing policies and practices to dismantle the racial and economic barriers embedded in the U.S. education system.
Through our research and advocacy, Ed Trust improves equity in education from preschool through college, engages diverse communities dedicated to equity and justice, and increases political and public will to build an education system where all students will thrive. This role, available immediately, is based in our Southeastern Michigan office.
Our team is 100% virtual for now, though that will change in the future. At that point, employees will be expected to report a minimum of two days per week in person to our office. The Manager of Communications will report to the Director of Communications and may supervise 1-2 interns.
ABOUT THE MANAGER ROLE
Major responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Strategic Project Management & Content Development
- Project manage the successful public release of Ed Trust-Midwest and partner-branded materials to promote Ed Trust’s messages with intended audiences around eliminating disparities in student opportunities and enhancing student outcomes
- Draft, edit, and proofread a variety of ETM materials including press releases, talking points, key messages, blogs, op-eds, partner and funder communications and other collateral, checking for grammar, tone, accessibility, and alignment with key advocacy messages
- Manage editorial and production processes (i.e., project management) for longer lead publications, briefs and reports as assigned by Director of Communications
- Develop cohesive communications plans and collateral to reach the organization’s target audiences
- Lead earned media work, including building and maintaining relationships with press contacts, and serve as the primary point of contact for the media — including fielding inquiries, pitching stories, and liaising between the media and Ed Trust-Midwest content experts — to maximize coverage of our work and to ensure Michigan education stakeholders are broadly and deeply informed of important information about public education in the state
- Analyze the impact of the communications team’s work in line with departmental metrics
- Keep abreast of Ed Trust Midwest’s policy positions and research, as well as best practices in strategic communications and media relations Collaborate with and share pertinent information across teams to improve and align internal communications
- Support writing and input for development and grant reports as necessary Website/Digital Communications
- Develop and implement digital communications strategies that advance overall strategic communications and the organization’s brand to meet the organization’s goals and objectives
- Manage development and maintenance of ETM’s website and microsites, including content, branding, strategy, design, posting, updating, and implementation Analyze website analytics to inform digital strategy including
- Develop and execute paid and earned digital strategies including our weekly e-newsletter, managing content strategy, drafting & editing content, and managing deadlines Identify relevant stories and exercise engaging storytelling skills online, identify messaging opportunities as they arise
- Provide digital strategy training to staff and external audiences Serve as a thought partner to the Communications Director for social media strategy
IDEAL SKILLS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Shared belief in Ed Trust’s mission and a commitment to improving educational equity
- Dedication in contributing to and maintaining an equitable working environment
- Extremely strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work quickly and maintain composure under short deadlines
- Teamwork skills and an eagerness for collaboration
- Willingness to receive and act upon, as well as provide, constructive feedback
- Problem solving ability
- Knowledge of graphic design, website, social media, and email best practices
- Working knowledge of digital analytics across channels and platforms, and the ability to translate analytics to changes to strengthen engagement with key audiences
- Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to be flexible and juggle multiple priorities, projects, campaigns, and tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Exceptional follow-through and attention to detail Goal-oriented, project-oriented, and achievement-oriented
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and experience:
- At least a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree is preferred
- At least four years of experience in communications, journalism, media relations, campaigns, advocacy, or a related field
- Familiarity with or knowledge of prominent education issues, particularly education equity issues
The annual salary for this position starts at $73,000 annually and will be commensurate with experience.
The Education Trust prioritizes the health and well-being of its employees and, to that end, offers a highly competitive benefits package. Medical, dental and vision insurance are covered at 100% for the employee, with significant coverage also offered for spouses, domestic partners, and dependents. We provide sick leave, vacation leave, and personal leave, and we follow the federal government for most holiday closures. To ensure staff have synchronous opportunities for rest and renewal, the office is closed for a week-long summer break and a week-long winter break. Among other offerings, we provide an Employee Assistance Program at no cost to the employee, and a generous 7% contribution opportunity on a 403(b)-retirement plan.
VACCINATION FOR COVID-19
At The Education Trust, the health and safety of our employees is of the utmost importance. As such, all Education Trust employees are required to be fully vaccinated and remain up to date on their vaccinations for COVID-19. New hires should be fully vaccinated and up to date on their COVID-19 vaccinations prior to their first day of work. Requests for accommodations due to medical or religious reasons will be reviewed by Human Resources. The Education Trust is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds.
Please apply here.