The external relations associate will be responsible for supporting the development and execution of communications and outreach activities. Reporting to the director of external relations, the external relations associate will play a key role in advancing the mission of The Education Trust-Midwest through effective and compelling communications on educational excellence and equity in Michigan, and by supporting relationships with critical allies.
- Day-to-day communications management, including: social media, web and email content, media inquiries and media monitoring;
- Drafting, collaborating and/or editing original content, including: press releases, opinion pieces, grant proposals and messaging;
- Developing and supporting collaboration with external organizations and partners; and
- Collaborate on the development and implementation of communications and outreach strategies.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or a related field, or equivalent professional experience;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills (print and digital);
- Well-developed computer skills, including Microsoft Office and social networking platforms;
- Strong attention to detail; desire to work in a collaborative environment.
- 2-4 years of digital communications experience;
- Experience using WordPress and InDesign or Photoshop;
- Demonstrated experience in communicating complex topics to a broad audience.
- Experience with advocacy, public education policy or educational equity
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
The Education Trust-Midwest offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, a 403(b) plan with employer match, paid holidays and generous vacation time.
The Education Trust-Midwest, located in Royal Oak, Michigan, is a nonpartisan, data-driven education policy, research and advocacy organization focused on doing what is right for Michigan students. Working for the high academic achievement for all students, our goal is to close the gaps in opportunity and achievement for all students, particularly those who are Black, Latino or from low-income families.
The Education Trust-Midwest is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diversity in all facets of the organization’s work.